Are you looking for a delicious vegan chocolate cake recipe?
This moreish vegan chocolate cake is topped with a thick and creamy choc-coconut icing. Whether you are looking for a sweet vegan treat, or simply are out of eggs and milk, this delicious cake will have your friends and family begging you for the recipe!
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 ¾ + 2 tablespoons soy or almond milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 4-6 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- Optional: almond, soy or coconut milk
Instructions for cake
1. Preheat the oven to 160-degrees Celsius (your oven may slightly differ, so alter your temperature accordingly)
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract until well blended
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined (do not over mix)
5. Pour the batter into a greased and floured 22-centremeter-circle pan
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in the centre comes out clean
7. Cool the cake on a wire rack
Instructions for icing
1. In an electric mixer with paddle attachment (can be done by hand with a rubber spatula), cream the coconut oil until a smooth, lump-free paste has formed.
2. Slowly mix in half the icing sugar and increase speed once combined.
3. Add the vanilla extract and salt
4. One cup at a time, add the remaining icing sugar and cocoa powder
5. Mix until your desired consistency is formed
6. Decorate the cooled cake with the icing and serve!
Note: If the mixture is too thick, you can add a teaspoon or two of almond, soy or coconut milk to thin.
Serving suggestion: cut the cake into two disks. Layer the top of the first disk with thickened cream and place the second half on top. Ice with the choc-coconut ‘buttercream’ and decorate with fresh, sliced fruit.
Are you looking for restaurant’s offering vegetarian options on the Gold Coast? Check out our top 2 locations for a vegetarian-friendly meal.
Whether you are after a night out, a delicious meal or somewhere to stay, Jupiters Hotel and Casino has just what you need. A range of dining choices including Japanese and Italian cuisine, buffet and cafes means no matter what your dietary requirements, you can enjoy the food on offer. Situated on the Gold Coast Highway, Jupiters Hotel and Casino is in walking distance to Broadbeach nightlife and beaches.
Where:Broadbeach Island, Gold Coast QLD 4218
Open for lunch and dinner, 7 days a week, The Cardamom Pod serves gourmet vegetarian and vegan cuisine. Offering a range of meals, sweet treats and drinks, you are sure to find something to please your pallet. Come down and see the team and entice your tastebuds today! Enjoy a vitamin-packed smoothie, chocolate brownie, veggie bake, curry or gourmet salad—plus a range of other delights.
Where: Shop 1/2685 Gold Coast Highway, Broadbeach QLD 4218
[Relevant: What Is The Paleo Diet?]