Put down the sugar & spice up your coffee the healthy way!
Ditch the sugar for cinnamon for a healthy sweet kick to your coffee. Adding a sprinkle of cinnamon to your cup of coffee will not only save you a few calories (around 70 calories per cup!), it will also sweeten your brew. Start off with a small pinch and build the amount to suit your tastes.
The benefits of cinnamon include:
- Can help slow down digestion after a meal, preventing sugar spikes.
- Has important anti-inflammatory properties, which helps the body fight infections.
- Is loaded with antioxidants
Tip: Add to your coffee grounds before brewing, or sprinkle in after.
Cacao Nib Coffee
If you’re a fan of a mocha, but not the thought of processed chocolate additives, cacao nibs are a great superfood to sweeten your coffee. Swirl a teaspoon of cacao nibs into your coffee to add a delicious chocolate flavour to your morning cup-a-Joe.
The benefits of cacao nibs include:
- Cacao nibs are a good source of fibre.
- Packed full of magnesium, cacao nibs are great for muscle and nerve function.
- Just 28 grams of cacao nibs have about 183 miligrams of potassium, which has numerous potential health benefits.
Note: Cacao nibs are raw pieces of chocolate. The process of making nibs is roasting cacao beans, removing the cacao from the husk and breaking into smaller nibs.
When we say add salt to your coffee, we are talking about a small pinch of unrefined salt, not a teaspoon or more of processed table salt. Sprinkling a touch of salt into your grounds before brewing will help soften the bitterness of the coffee. Many people add a pinch of salt to their cold coffees (including cold-pressed) to enhance the natural flavours of the beans. Try different types of salt, such red Hawaiian and pink Himalayan rock salt for different tastes.
The benefits of small amounts of salt include:
- Salt helps keep digestion and stomach pH levels regular.
- May help suppress stress hormones, helping you get a better night sleep.
- Low salt levels in the body can lead to muscle cramps and nausea.
Note: To find out how much salt your body needs, consult your local doctor.
Are you looking for somewhere to buy deliciously healthy coffee flavouring?
A health food shop is full of unprocessed, healthy treats you can add to your coffee, including the ones we listed above! You can find a friendly health food shop near you on LocalSearch.
Check out these 2 health food shops on the Tweed Coast:
Health Food Central stocks a large range of quality minerals, vitamins and supplements in both their Kingscliff and Tweed Heads stores. Their products and services include:
- Organic fruit and vegetables.
- Supplements and sports supplements.
- Naturopathic advice and much more!
The team at Health Food Central are passionate about helping people live a healthy life and a qualified to provide sound naturopathic advice in store.
To find out more about their products and services, visit the Health Food Central LocalSearch profile page.
Spice up your coffee a healthy way with the delicious array of healthy foods and supplements from Garden of Eden Organic & Health Foods in Tweed Heads. Their products and services include:
- Bulk herbs and spices.
- Bulk health foods and organic range.
- Cosmetics, cleaning products and much more!
From cosmetics and cleaning products, through to tasty unhealthy food and ingredients, Garden of Eden Organic & Health Foods has you covered!
To find out more about what’s on offer at Garden of Eden Organic & Health Foods, visit their LocalSearch profile page today!