Celebrate hump day with some tasty food!
Speedy Moroccan Meatballs
This quick and simple recipe will only set you back 20 minutes, so you have time for more important things, like putting your feet up!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 350g beef or chicken meatballs (pre-made)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 100g dried apricots
- 1 small cinnamon stick (alternatively a pinch of cinnamon powder)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes with garlic
- 25g toasted almond flakes
- 1 handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat oil in large frying pan and cook the meatballs, turning occasionally for 10 mins or until cooked through. Set aside cooked meatballs on a plate, and cook onion until softened.
- Add dried apricots, cinnamon stick, diced tomatoes and half a can of water to frying pan and simmer for 10 mins. Remove cinnamon stick and fold meatballs into the sauce and serve with almond and coriander garnish. If desired, serve with rice, pasta or salad.
Mexican chickpea burgers
Perfect in a bun, tortilla or on their own, these substantial vegetarian delights are the perfect pick-me-up for the mid-week blues.
- 1 large egg
- 400g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 400g tinned lentils, drained and rinsed
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
- Blend chickpeas, egg and Mexican seasoning in a food processor until smooth. Scrape mixture into a large bowl and stir in the lentils, breadcrumbs, spring onions, chilli, lime zest and coriander. Divide mixture into 4 and shape into patties.
- Heat oil in large frying pan and fry patties for 10 mins, turning once, until golden and hot throughout.
- Serve however you please. We recommend home-made guacamole, sour cream and salsa for a tasty Mexican fiesta!
If you’re on the look-out for some great Newcastle restaurants, we’ve done the hunting for you. Check out these restaurants in and around the region for a great mid-week feed.
Offering stunning views of Lake Macquarie, the friendly team at Brownsugar Restaurant & Functions can deliver an amazing dining experience. Their wedding and function areas can cater for up to 110 guests for sit-down functions, and up to 200 for cocktail celebrations. Call for more details.
Where: Cnr King St & The Esplanade, Warners Bay, NSW 2282
Ph: (02) 4947 1144
Open: Wed – Sun for lunch and dinner
Experience the traditional cuisine of old Siam in Newcastle at Chat Chai Thai Restaurant. Serving fresh dishes that range from mild to spicy, Chat Chai Thai Restaurant is a hit with Newcastle locals.
Where: 88 Darby St (upstairs) Crooks Hill, NSW 2300
Ph: (02) 4926 3399
Open: Tues – Sun
Lunch: 11:30am – 3:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm – 10:00pm
Check out our other Newcastle foodie blogs:
- New City Foodie Guide: Newcastle Restaurants
- Super Simple Seafood Sensations
- Discover a Food Mecca In Newcastle