The spring fruit & veg you must try!
This refreshing, sweet melon is identified by its white to yellow skin and delicious green flesh with white seeds.
How to Tell if a Honeydew Melon is Ripe:
- The skin should be a creamy white to yellow colour
- You should be able to smell a sweet aroma
Honeydew Melon Health Benefits
Honeydew melons are packed full of vitamin C, vitamin B6, fibre and potassium, which help our bodies to:
- Repair damaged cells & tissue
- Improve heart & bowel health
- Remove toxins & waste from our bodies
The delectably sweet white flesh of a lychee is cased in prickly, reddish-brown bumpy skin.
How to Tell if a Lychee is Ripe:
- A ripe lychee will have dark red skin
- Once peeled, the flesh will be very sweet
Lychee Health Benefits
Lychees have a very unique nutrient called oligonol, which has benefits such as:
- The ability to fight flu viruses
- Improve blood flow
- Help protect the skin from UV rays
This intriguing vegetable is made up of several parts. Thick green petals encase thin, edible yellow petals. In the centre of the leaves is a fuzzy, hair-like flesh, which surrounds the heart of the artichoke.
How to Tell if an Artichoke is Ripe:
- A ripe artichoke should be a dusty green colour
- Look for a heavy and firm artichoke
Artichoke Health Benefits
Artichokes are full of minerals such as copper, calcium, iron, manganese and phosphorus, which include the following benefits:
- Helps control the heart rate & blood pressure
- Copper is required for the production of red blood cells
- Important for strong bones & teeth
Zucchini Flowers are an edible flowers, recognized by their large, bright yellow petals and green stems.
How to Tell if Zucchini Flowers are Ripe:
When you see zucchini flowers in stores, they should be fine to eat as long as they have not started to brown or wilt.
Zucchini Flowers Health Benefits
Not only are zucchini flowers beautiful, but they are also filled with a large range of vitamins, potassium and magnesium, which have the following health benefits:
- May keep blood pressure normal
- Helps the heart stay at a healthy rhythm beat
- Supports muscle function
For the freshest fruit and vegetables, visiting a farmer’s market or fruit and veg store is the best way to get the best produce for your dollar, plus support local business. These 2 fruit and veg stores in Mackay stock a range of fresh produce waiting for you try.
Phone: (07) 4952 1460
Address: 303 Nebo Road, Mackay QLD 4740
Committed to supplying quality, fresh products to Mackay, Vegies Unlimited sources a lot of their fruit and vegetables from local farmers.
- Supply both wholesale & retail produce
- Stock processed produce, selected grocery items & fruit & vegetables
- Pre-order is available
This family operated business is open 7 days a week for both wholesale and retail purchases. At Vegies Unlimited you can find a range of fresh fruit and vegetables, processed products and selected groceries for all your catering, restaurant and home-kitchen needs. Call the team to pre-order today!
Phone: (07) 4951 4570
Address: 85 Wood Street, Mackay QLD 4740
Mifsud’s Fresh Fruit Barn stocks a range of fresh organic produce and deli products, sourced from local farmers.
- Offers organic fruit & vegetables, deli & frozen products
- Produce harvested from local Mackay and surrounding farms
- Wholesale orders & same day delivery
All organic products stocked by Mifsud’s Fresh Fruit Barn, are locally sourced from farmers in the Mackay region. Whether you are looking to place a whole-sale order, including daily processed packs (sliced onions & stir-fry mixes), or to stock your kitchen at home, Mifsud’s Fresh Fruit Barn has you covered.
[Related: 5 Fruity Facts You’ll Love]
[Related: 3 Deliciously Healthy Ice-Block Recipes]