Sweat-it out with these glute-engaging exercises!
If you’re struggling to lose stubborn fat on your hips, bum or thighs unfortunately there’s no magic trick to weight-loss. You’ll need undying motivation, as well as performing weight and cardio training, paired with a good diet. Although spot reduction (fat loss in a certain area) is a myth, targeted weight training will help strengthen and build the muscle being worked.
How To Build More Defined Glutes (aka A Nice Bum)
Whether you’re after a glorious behind like the Kardashians, or the firm tush of a Victoria Secrets model (think Candice Swanepoel), building a strong booty will take some hard work.
To start building your booty, you’ll want to have a personal trainer construct a workout plan that works the 3 main muscles that make up the behind. These muscles are:
Gluteus Minimus: Positioned directly underneath the gluteus medius muscle and is the smallest of all 3.
Gluteus Medius: The muscle on the upper-side of your bum, near your pelvis.
Gluteus Maximus: As the name suggests, this is the largest of the 3 muscles and is the main, middle and bottom of your bum cheek.
Tips For Building Glute Muscles:
- Tense your glute muscles when walking up a hill or stairs.
- If you’re seated a lot at work, stand up and take a walk often, engaging your glute muscles.
- Eat a diet filled with healthy fats, whole-grain carbohydrates and protein.
Build Your Glutes With These Exercises
To help build your glutes from flat to ‘you-got-a-booty’, try these exercises:
Lateral Side Leg Raise (Also Known As Standing Hip Abduction)
Sets: 3 sets of 12
Target Muscles: Hip abductors, glutes & abs
- Start in a standing position with your feet almost touching and your hands on your hips. You may wish to hold the back of a chair for support.
- Bending your right knee slightly, slowly raise your left leg until it is parallel to the floor. If you can’t raise your leg this high, raise to your limits.
- While lifting the leg, engage your glutes.
- Repeat 10 times on your left leg and then do the same with your right.
Variations: To increase the difficulty of this exercise, wear leg weights or use a cable machine at the gym.
Single Leg Deadlift
Target Muscles: Hamstrings & glutes
Sets: 3 sets of 12
- Stand with your legs about an inch or 2 apart.
- Hold a dumbbell or kettle bell in each hand, or a weighted bar.
- Slightly bend your left knee and kick your leg back in a controlled and stable ‘swing’.
- While you extend your leg, slowly lean forward, lowering the weights down your right leg, until your torso is parallel with the floor.
- Engage your glutes and the back of your legs.
- Hold the position for a 2-second count and holding the engaged muscles, bring yourself back up to standing, not letting your left foot touch the ground.
Note: This will help increase your balance, as well as help your booty!
The Hip Raise (Also Known As A Bridge)
Target Muscles: Glutes, hip flexors, hamstrings, abs & lower back
Sets: 3 sets of 10
- Lie on your back (a yoga mat is highly recommended) with your arms flat on the floor, hands down, in a comfortable position. Your arms may be stretched out vertically, or horizontally along your body.
- Engage your abs and glutes and lift your bum off the floor, pushing through your heels.
- Stretch upwards until your back, hips and thighs are in a straight line. Ensure there is no arch in your back.
- Hold the position for a 2-second count, slowly returning to the starting position.
Variations: If this exercise is not challenging enough, ask your trainer about having your back resting on a bench and possibly adding an EZ bar.
Note: These exercises are a guide only. Before starting any workout regimes, consult your local GP and personal trainer.
Looking for a quality gym or personal trainer to help you perfect these glute workouts? You can find a fitness centre to help you sweat it out on LocalSearch.
Check out these great gyms on the Fraser Coast for a challenging workout!
Dedicated to helping you lead a happy and healthy life, Breathe Health Clubs is a fully equipped premier gym with friendly personal trainers. Their services include:
- Gym floor with free-weights, plate-loaded machines & cardio machines etc.
- Personal trainers & weight loss programs.
- Group fitness classes, women’s only area, child minding & much more!
With something in mind for all fitness goals, whether it is weight-loss, building muscle or keeping fit, Breathe Health Clubs is the perfect place to reach your fitness goals.
To find out more about their extensive list of classes, equipment and services, check out the Breathe Health Clubs LocalSearch profile page.
Maryborough Fitness is dedicated to creating a safe and inviting environment for you to enjoy exercising. Their services include:
- Weight & cardio area
- Fitness classes, Les Mills programs, personal training & circuit training
- Ladies-only area, child minding, sauna & much more!
Whether you’re a fitness fanatic or just starting out, the friendly trainers at Maryborough Fitness can help you achieve your dream physique.
You can find more information about the Maryborough Fitness centre on their LocalSearch profile page.